The importance of security in software development
Tue, 04/09/2019 - 12:44
Software security consists of three processes: designing, creating, and testing security software, when software detects and fixes problems by itself. In fact, Software Security involves a proactive approach that occurs during the pre-deployment phase. Best practices are used to create code that is easier to protect. To a greater extent, this will help coders do their job better that will make it easier for operators.
But many software companies do not realize that they can design and develop software on basic security principles. It is better now to understand the importance than to regret.
Why is software security important?
You have to understand, a very small mistake can lead to the loss of more than one million. Even large enterprises are not risk free. The most common malicious attacks, such as SQL injection, command injection, buffer overflow, buffer overflow attacks in the stack, can damage the reputation of any well-known company.
Thus, all these companies are large, well-known and never allow themselves to open up for attack. Well, they were. Now think about what happens to other companies with less resource that need to be secure? Can they sum up the loss if something happens so? This is why software security is important to create from scratch at the design stage, since prevention is better than cure.
At the initial stage of design and architecture, the software must be consistent and represent a unified security architecture that takes into account security principles. Designers, architects and analysts should carefully document assumptions and identify possible attacks. Risk analysis is required for each stage of the software development life cycle. And most importantly, after the transfer of software, the maintenance and updating of software from time to time are necessary to protect the software from any new type of malicious attack.
For example, the Brain Station 23 focuses on building an impeccable system that takes into account advanced security practices at all levels of design, development and implementation. Although the system may always have implantation defects or “bugs,” it has been found that the safety of many systems is impaired due to constructive flaws. Brain Station 23 believes that if it can design a secure system that will avoid such flaws, we can significantly reduce the number and impact of security breaches. Although errors and shortcomings are different types of defects, the company believes that much more attention was paid to common types of errors than to safe design and the elimination of defects.
For best safety practice, the Brain Station 23 pays great attention to:
- Authentication mechanism and authorization. This process includes a well-designed system that prevents the user from changing identity without re-authentication, multifactor authentication, a security control mechanism, resource authorization, file and database permissions, etc., an examination that protects any software from problems associated with authentication.
- Data validation: In the development life cycle, the Brain Station 23 always focuses on the data validation process, which includes centralized validation mechanisms, converting data into canonical form, using common libraries of validation primitives, and implementing language-level types to collect data assumptions. etc.
- Cryptography: Cryptography is one of the most important tools for building secure systems. With proper use of cryptography, the Brain Station 23 ensures data privacy, protects data from unauthorized changes, and authenticates the source of the data. Cryptography can also provide many other security goals.
- Identifying and processing confidential data. One of the most important tasks that the Brain Station 23 developers perform is to identify confidential data and determine how to protect it properly. Data sensitivity depends on many factors, including regulation, company policy, construction obligations and user expectations, etc. Technical data sensitivity includes access control mechanisms (including file protection mechanisms, memory protection mechanisms and database protection mechanisms), cryptography to preserve confidentiality or integrity of data. backups and backups to maintain data availability, etc.
- Analysis of the impact on the security of the integration of external components: when integrating any third-party applications into any software, there is a significant risk to attract certain threats that accompany third-party integration. Brain Station 23 analyzes the errors from third-party applications that may be disguised as software errors, access problems between third-party applications and specific software, incompatibility between third-party applications and software interfaces, etc., to ensure that any external integration works as expected. and does not affect existing software functionality.
- Audit trail: This process records security-related chronological events that are very important in terms of security and process improvement. Brain Station 23 provides compliance programs for specific industry needs, such as CSA for managing the Cloud Security Alliance, PCI for payment card standards, FIPS for state security standards, FISMA for federal information security management, HIPAA for protected medical information, etc.
- OWASP Web Application Security Checklist: The Brain Station 23 follows the OWASP checklist, which includes:
- Injection Prevention
- Broken authentication and session management
- Cross-site scripting (XSS)
- Broken access control
- Incorrect security setting
- Confidential data
- Insufficient attack protection
- Cross-site request forgery (CSRF)
- Using components with known vulnerabilities in secure APIs
- Backup and Restore: Brain Station 23 provides synchronized replication of data, where applicable. A point-in-time recovery (PITR) and night backup solution is also available if the application returns to the desired state if necessary.
Brain Station 23 ensures that their customers provide the highest quality services, ensuring security and privacy at all levels of the software development cycle. The company is one of the best countries in Bangladesh certified to ISO 27001 (International Standard for Information Security Management System) and ISO 9001 (Quality Management System). It selects the best resources to ensure the best quality products. Since Brain Station 23 sets the evolutionary path of increasingly organized and systematically more mature secure software development processes, they are enriched with resources such as CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker), CHFI - (Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator), etc. so that they can find security loopholes & let authorities know about problems to solve a problem.
Let's take a look at some industry-specific areas where the Brain Station 23 applies best security practices.
Example 1: (Application security audit for banking industries)
The banking application requires a highly secure domain to protect the confidential information of its customers. Brain Station 23 provides application security audits for banking industries and develops applications that are difficult to decrypt, code-protected, tested at every stage of the software development lifecycle, so that the application can protect itself from any common type of vulnerability.
Example 2: (Audit of e-commerce applications)
Brain Station 23 provides an audit of e-commerce applications, which includes the application structure, platform analysis, coding agreement and security aspect, SEO audit, etc., guaranteed by qualified e-commerce auditors, which covers all expected threats or malicious attacks such as crossite scripting, SQL injection, poor targeting of bots, etc. The company also carefully handles the most common problems of e-commerce sites, such as server resentment, data loss, which can lead to virtual loss of visitors and can damage the reputation of any site.
Example 3: (Audit news portal)
News portals require the highest security to protect sensitive information from hackers and other vulnerabilities. Brain Station 23 maintained its service standard by providing a technical audit report on the main site, a database technical audit report, SEO audit, etc., regular data backups, night backups, maintaining integrity, etc. available in case of an emergency or data loss.